Monday, February 16, 2015

Super Dutch: Cycling

So it's been a while since I have written a blog.  That's because everything here is almost normal to me and not much phases me.  However; a few months ago I made a comment (I can't remember what it was) and my colleague said "That is a Super American thing to say."  I then ask her, what is "Super American"?  After some thinking, these are some of the things she came up with:
  • My love/obsession for enormously large (or what I would consider "regular") size drinks.
  • My obsession with ice in my drinks (you basically don't get ice in your drinks here).
  • The fact that I don't ride my bike in the: rain, cold, strong wind or any other excuse I have.
  • And my thought of any country outside of the US is dangerous.
  • The fact that "sweet" things are not sweet enough (like peanut butter).
That lead  me to think, what do I think is "Super Dutch"?  I have a mental list, but I thought I would slowly share them blog by blog.  However; today's "Super Dutch" thing is cycling or as we would call it riding a bike. Cycling is a way of life here in the Netherlands.  Everyone from children to elderly people do it.  Since moving here, I have seen lots of odd things done on a bicycle.  Here are some of things I have seen:

1) The "bike in tow"

How this guy steers his bike and this bike is beyond me.

2) "Carpooling"

This takes extreme skill.

3) Holding hands

This one doesn't make any sense to me at all.  I think it is ridiculous.

4) Hitching a ride

The Dutch have very strong leg muscles.

4) Moving day

Not even an option for me.
5) Chit Chatters

I have been guilty of this from time to time.  Being behind these can be annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment